30 December, 2012

4 cultures folles

Missionary madness!

In my opinion, the funniest conversation I’ve seen on f’book.
It occurred in response to a posted & tagged photo of a number of incumbent missionary families/singles, taken at a missionary training college some years previously (2005, maybe).

Codes:
(m) = male missionary
(f) = female missionary
(tck) = third culture kid (child of missionary)

CAMB. = serving in Cambodia
CHIL. = serving in Chile
IANT. = served in indigenous Australia/Northern Territory
NAMI. = serving in Namibia.
________________

(m) IANT.
Do the arranged marriages for our kids still stand?
They're getting frighteningly closer to the right age.


(f) NAMI.
In true arranged marriage style, they can't remember what each other looks like!

(m) CAMB.
Whatever the arranged marriages were is fine by me, I just want a lot of money to give away my daughter. When in Rome...

(m) NAMI.
remember, in africa, we price our daughters according to education levels.
For example, for a bachelor's degree, it will be a number of cows (as in Zimbabwe) for a daughter, but for an uneducated daughter, a chook will do (as in Malawi)


(m) CAMB.
Nope, here money will do just nicely.

(m) NAMI.
sure, but if your son wants MY daughter, then you pay the AFRIKAAN way MAAN.

(tck/f) CAMB.
I'm right here, dad. :P

(m) CHIL.
See, now THAT didn't happen when we commented on kids in 2005.

________________

*sniggering*

L/T.


By the way, for anyone familial wondering where I am at present, I've been in Vietnam since 26/12, hoping to be back before 05/01 next year (2013). Visiting family, adding to my motley collection of brothers (I now have 4 of them!), and confirming, among other things, the fact that NO, I am quite sure that God is NOT calling me to serve in this south-east Asian country any time soon. (And also, thanking God SO MUCH for reasonably reliable air travel, a set return date, generally cooler climates in my part of Australia, and that Sydney is nothing like HCMC!!)
:S

No comments:

Post a Comment