14 August, 2010

109 "fils"

In 2005, at this very same time, I was trying my hand at secondary-school teaching.

I had been offered a couple of weeks' work, trialling a Religious Studies and Personal Development job at an Anglican school in the eastern suburbs. Boys only - 5 classes of Year Sevens, 2 classes of Year Nines, 2 classes of Year Tens.

No other work was forthcoming, so I took the job.

I had 109 Year Sevens all up, who struck me (at the time) as being quite emotionally needy. So, after the 2 weeks when 3 of my colleagues - the Chaplain, Head of Religious Studies & Head of Senior School - asked me if I was willing to stay longer, I agreed.

I stayed another 7 weeks until the end of Term 3 2005, for these Y7s - for the sake of 109 children whom (in spite of their good days, bad days, sane days & mad days) I came to think of rather as my sons.
________________

Today I paid these former students one last official visit. They're now about to do their HSC exams (& looking forward to leaving a school that some of them have attended for 13 years - AND possibly looking forward to having GIRLS in their classes!!); it was good to see that so many of them are alive & well - even if, as boys, they said very little.

It was also good to see my former colleagues at this school, who always welcomed my visits to athletics events (such as today's one) or to music concerts.

At the same time it was also quite sad for me; saying goodbye & good luck can be, when you care. (And I cared - much more than I needed to.) As a group my 109 were one of the nicest sets of kids I've ever taught (when I taught them). I haven't taught them since 2005, and in many ways we've all moved on..
..but this goodbye is more poignant than most.

And my heart's desire, and prayer for them (as it has been for the last 5.5 years), is that they may be saved.

(ROMANS 10:1)

*sigh*

L/T.

No comments:

Post a Comment