04 July, 2011

2 ans plus tard..

Two years ago at this time, my life was in the middle of radical upheaval.

At the start of 2009 (after six years flickering in and out of different teaching roles in Sydney schools), I found myself jobless and caught up in the inexorably swirling currents of the then-quite-new global financial crisis (not-so-affectionately known as the GFC).

As any person brought up in the fine traditions of a Protestant work ethic, I tried - without success - to find replacement employment throughout 2009. Through casual stints here and there, God provided me income that kept the scoreboard ticking over and 2 substantial tax returns (both pretty 4-figure sums).

In mid-2009, I went on a long-intended short-term mission trip overseas (to see the reality and difficulty of proclaiming Christ in a non-English-speaking context) and returned with a redefined idea of what I wanted my life to look like.

To ensure this was not just a phase, I went back in September 2009 and June/July 2010 for another look - and, as a result, decided to be more committed to praying, caring, giving, going or all four together.

Thus this year so far (6 months on a challenging class in a difficult school in a less-than-easy area) has seemed like a bit of a wilderness detour. A more than full-time demand on my life that has pushed quality time with my Father and with His people relentlessly to one side. Which I have not only resented, but been negatively affected by - because, after all, when one drifts further from God, it follows that one's conduct becomes significantly less godly and can even be a stumbling-block to unbelievers with whom one has to work. In particular, my students at school.

Apart from the income generation, I have found it hard to see the positives in this job. I feel as if the amount of pressure/stress I have been under has neither developed my Christian character further, nor has it contributed to any observable professional growth as a teacher.

Of course, I am sure the Father sees the last 6 months very differently. I just wish it was all over quicker. The pitfalls of living in an instant society.

Oh that the doors may open to develop what actually needs development - if I am ever to be useful in an overseas cross-cultural context with university student age groups!

L/T.

No comments:

Post a Comment