09 January, 2010

9 janvier 2009

For over 10 years and 9 months now, I've always (not-so-secretly) harboured a desire to be sent on overseas cross-cultural (^o.s.c.c.^) mission.

Ça fait 10 ans que mon voyage a commencé
In a way, it feels like I've come full circle.
Loosely, one could say it all started back in 1999. Join me on a little trip down the lane called Memory.

9 avril 1999
~ Decided to look into teaching, during final year of studies for Music degree (BMus).
~ This was a response to a suggestion given me over the Easter weekend of '99, by Michael Raiter (whom my church had invited to give Bible talks at our Easter youth retreat).
~ I had been thinking about the needs in world mission prior to this date; had heard Michael speak often of his ^o.s.c.c.^ mission experiences in Pakistan; asked his opinion on how a Music degree might be useful for the sake of the gospel in an ^o.s.c.c.^ context.
~ Michael suggested considering teacher training, since teaching visas were more easily attainable for Christian ^o.s.c.c.^ missionaries than visas for pastors, ministers, Bible college lecturers, etc.
(Fast-forward 10 years 3 months to..)


..9 juillet 2009
~ Left Paris, France - after an encouraging, challenging, fruitful & life-transforming short-term mission reaching out to students, in team partnership with local student organisation Groupes Bibliques Universitaires (GBU) & the International Fellowship of Evangelical Students (IFES).

9 septembre 2009
~ In the process of preparing to return to Paris, France - to join in orientation-week outreach, in team partnership once more with the GBUs & IFES.
~ The decision to return for another short-term examination based on my thinking - whether serving with the French GBUs was possible for longer; what advice the Australian long-termers might have about steps to take.

9 novembre 2009
~ Physically back in Sydney, Australia - working casually for my longest-standing employer (a Jewish school), but with heart still looking to France in the future.

9 janvier 2010
~ The burden for the work around the world that our God has made has not lightened with time.
~ Nor has my burden for France lightened.

In fact, CMS Summer School
- as it served to keep my eyes wide open to the work God is doing in many areas of the world to further His kingdom by the proclamation of the good news of Jesus the only Saviour & Lord -
has served to remind me of just how plentiful the harvest is.

And how few, in comparison, are the workers in the Lord's harvest field.

For me, it has been 10 years and 9 months since my thinking about ^o.s.c.c.^ mission in God's world began to crystallise.. .. ..since my eyes were first opened to the needs for people outside of mainstream** Australian culture to hear of & believe in the Lord for their salvation from the coming wrath.
________________


Tell me, followers & friends, in light of today's posts, what do you think should be most often prayed for me?

The prayer that for me comes to mind is, precisely, the words of my prophet friend Isaiah son of Amoz:

<<Me voici, envoie-moi.>>

*sigh* .. 10 years 9 months is a long time to be just "thinking" about mission.

L/T.
________________


(*)
(former teacher of Murree Christian School, Pakistan; former lecturer at Moore Theological College; now on staff at Bible College of Victoria)

**
See footnote at end of preceding post.

..

No comments:

Post a Comment