29 June, 2009

Je suis arrivée!

Esp. to family, yes - am safely installed in the 6th arrondissement of Paris. Arrived, no hassles or glitches. Everything happened very smoothly, with every flight on time; all is well with soul, with physical safety, etc. God has been very gracious in these small things!

I met the other members of the team on Saturday; after preliminary bonding, etc., a group of us went for a walk in the area during the evening. First sight of the Eiffel Tower! Unfortunately even though it was close to "lights-on" time, we did not get to see the tower illuminated. Perhaps later in the week.

The team:
Hooray! I'm not the only Australian, after all! There is one other Aussie, Jonty* who like me is from Sydney's North Shore. But unlike me, he plans to stick around until Christmas.

*EDIT: Have added pseudonyms, all Jewish names, marked with an asterisk to introduce my team members. Have chosen pseudonyms close to their actual names. Sometimes. Now, the only reason for this is to protect the innocent - lovely though they were, they don't know I'm posting about them!!*

Team leader (head honcho of the three) - Kade*:


Of our 3 team leaders, Kade, the 1st, is from England. Born Oxford, grew up in London, works with IFES. (The way he's been captured in the above shot shows, I think, how he led us all week - in candid humility.) The 2nd, Mia* is from South Korea & the 3rd, Claudia* is Parisian French - both are "stagiaires Relais" for the GBU (SUEU people, think Howies; CBS or other, think university MTS trainees, etc.).

There are other stagiaires on team as well - 2 girls from GBU Strasbourg (Sophie* & Esther*, the latter from Switzerland), 1 guy from GBU Orléans (Avi*), for example. Other non-French Christians, too - like 1 guy from Poland (Matthew*), 1 from the Netherlands (Jonah*). At least two other Brits from York (Liat*) and near Manchester (Asher*). Many nations; one common language - and that, of course, is French!

As for speaking it - I find myself, within 2 days, being able to think in French much more easily than I was expecting. Even when talking to myself about a chore I need to do, I find my default language is French. Which is most certainly evidence of answered prayer!! Thank you to all those who prayed with/for me!

Listening. Still a massive challenge. Esp. if chatting with the Parisian, other French or Swiss members of the team. Some talk just as fast in French as I do in English - & most of you glancing at this know how fast I can talk!! I feel quite dumb having to keep asking for clarification about instructions we received - but I don't struggle all the time, at least! Continued prayer about listening comprehension & the gift of interpretation of the French tongue (langue) very much valued!!

Outreach:
Today we hung near the universities, tried to have conversations with those around us about Jesus. What I understood of the conversations, I was not discouraged..plus, we were able to invite several people we spoke to along to our evening events (where we hope in some form to present the gospel). We would like it if people came to these events & were willing to engage with the good news of Jesus - but all in God's plan & timing.. ..

Praise/Prayer:
I'm thankful at what has been achieved so far; God is, obviously, in control here! Consider JOHN 3:16 - we can definitely thank Him about that. He wants salvation & repentance infinitely more than we do!

Please continue referring to COL. 4:3-6, not just for me but for everyone on the team! That I will do and say what leads to edification for all whom I meet, older or younger.

Also, if you could be praying through JAMES 1, verse 20 onwards - it has never been easy for me to keep mouth shut, ears open & temper under control; something I think I need now more than ever!!

Kade (aforementioned & aforepictured British team leader) has kindly allowed me to use one of the GBU office computers for this update. So I'd better finish up for now. Thank you in advance for your support of me & partnership in the gospel of our Lord & Saviour!

Love to all,
L/T.

P.S. Sent a number of postcards to my Sunday School class students today, as they had requested. Parents-and-friends, please let me know when these have hit your letterboxes!!

:)

1 comment: